So sad...

May 1, 2008

Why oh why do my children love my Scor-it so?



What may not be apparent to some of you, is that there should be an attachment on the end of that precious golden chain. Said attachment has not gone unnoticed by Thing 1 and Thing 2. As a matter of fact, the most essential part of this ridiculously important tool of mine is on a tour of the house. Its most recent reincarnation was as a sword used by Thing 1 to protect our "castle" from Thing 2. You can see where this is going...



I was prepared to write a review of my Scor-it eventually. Since I can't actually do any scoring at the moment, I might as well write about.



"Scoring" or the process of making that very neat crease in the middle of a piece of paper has been performed for decades by "bone folders" (which, according to netbib, are named such because the originals were made from the teeth of Baleen Whales). Nowadays, you either use a (bone-like) bone folder, have a printing company score your cards, or use a Scor-it. Since I do a lot of printing in-house, my Scor-it has become on of the most useful cardmaking tools I own.



I have the standard Scor-it board, which can crease a piece of paper up to 12 inches in length. The board itself is has a cushiony rubber-type surface that helps keep your paper in place. There's a ruler at the top and a sharp-ish metal groove down the center. To use the Scor-it, you simply place the paper on top of the board (making sure that the metal groove lines up to where you would like your fold to be), hold the scoring tool like a pencil (assuming you know where yours is), and pull it towards you along the groove. After a few tries, you'll determine how much pressure you'll need to use for your particular weight of paper. This is one of those handy-dandy tools that no handcrafting cardmaker should be without.



Now-- off to locating that scoring tool...



PS. I don't suspect one of the Little People in the background of the top photo. Their innocence has already been established.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket