For some reason, I got it into my head that making popcorn on the stove top was difficult. Clearly, I was wrong. Not only is it incredibly easy, the taste and fun we had watching it pop in the pot was priceless. How's this for simple...
After some trial and error (and solid internet research), here are a few tips:
- Heat the oil with 2-3 kernels in it. When those kernels pop, you know the oil is hot enough to add the rest.
- Shake the pot constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Use a large pot with a clear lid (if you have one) so you can watch the kernels popping.
- Melt a few tablespoons of real butter (the water content is too high in the less fatty versions, which will turn your popcorn to mush) to pour on afterwards.
- Use regular old table salt because it sticks to the kernels best (and, if you're like me...use lots).
PS. The smell while it's cooking will surprise you... it's like real corn (!)